Total Pageviews

Monday, January 2, 2017

How to get out of a reading slump

Although I love to read, there are often times where I find myself unable to pick up a book and really get into it. I find my mind wandering to other places and it is hard for me to focus on what I am reading. When this lack of focus continues for a long period of time, it's called a reading slump. I tend to fall into reading slumps when I have a lot going on outside of my reading life. I have never been able to use books to "escape" my issues. I instead need to take care of my life outside of reading first.

My last reading slump ended a few weeks ago, when the busiest school year of my life came to a close. Now that I don't have to focus so much on school, I have had a very rich reading life over break. However, some of you may still be suffering from reading slumps, maybe for completely different reasons than mine! Here are my tips for getting out of a reading slump:

1. Don't force yourself to read.

Forcing yourself to read will probably get you further into a reading slump. If the book you are reading bores you, don't read it! It's a waste of your time and energy. Instead, go out and do something that you know you will enjoy. Hopefully this reading break will recharge you and help you discover your love of reading again.

2. Try a new genre.

Let's face it, we all have our favorite genres and the books we read tend to be from that genre. But in the midst of your love of fantasy or young adult paranormal romance, there is almost inevitably a roadblock. Switch up your genres once in a while and get a feel for something you would have never expected to read. Try some obscure poetry (Like Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur), a collection of essays (Try Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace), or even a children's book (Because of Winn-Dixie or any other books by Kate DiCamillo). You may be pleasantly surprised with the book you choose.

3. Switch up your atmosphere.

Do you read in the same armchair or on your bed every day? Is the lighting too bright or too dim while you read? You may be falling asleep at your book because you've gotten so used to your surroundings and it has m made you a bit lazy. Consider going to a local coffee shop or to the library to read. Maybe get a new armchair or new lamp that invites a comforting atmosphere and helps you to focus on your reading.

4. Try rereading an old favorite.

Rereading old books is one of my favorite things to do, because I always know I'll enjoy what I'm reading. Revisiting old favorites helps you remember why you love reading in the first place. When rereading, focus on the beauty of the book, and why you love it so much.

5. Get inspired by other readers.

Feel like you're the only reader on the planet? Fear not, there are hundreds of thousands of people online just like you! YouTube is one place I like to go for reading inspiration. In the Booktube community on YouTube, you'll be able to watch readers talk about what they're currently reading, or the books they recently bought. You can browse reading blogs or listen to podcasts. The possibilities are endless! Take an hour or so to browse the internet and see what you can find, and then try reading again. You may be surprised to see how a simple hour browsing the internet can really improve your reading life.

No comments:

Post a Comment