Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 27, 2016

REVIEW: The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

Hey, everyone! Glad you stopped by today to smell the books.

Halloween will be here before we know it, and it's time to set aside some cozy time with a scary book, blankets, and a cup of tea. I picked up The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories expecting the story to be freaky and get me in the mood for the autumn season.

160149

(Photograph Credit: goodreads.com)

Cthulhu is a collection of short stories by the well-known H.P. Lovecraft. This was my first taste of Lovecraft, and the first story in the collection, Dagon, is a great example of his style. Lovecraft uses a lot of first-person POV, something I did not expect. Another defining factor (of these stories at least) is the lack of dialogue in the stories. The dialogue adds to the lack of plot drive in a few of the stories, and sometimes it was hard for me to keep track of the stories because of rambling narration.

Although I didn't particularly care for Lovecraft's style, I do think he is an important author of his time. Lovecraft was one of the first notable horror writers; his works have influenced many other authors.

If you want to get in the Halloween mood, you may turn The Call of Cthulhu. I think next year, though, I'll stick to Neil Gaiman.

Rating 5/10

2 comments:

  1. I love H.P. Lovecraft but I haven't read this book before. I will definitely check it out. Including the picture was helpful. Good review!

    ReplyDelete