Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 17, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

Hey, friends! I'm glad you've stopped by to smell the books.

24453082

(Photograph: goodreads.com)

Today we will be talking about my most recent read: Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. This is a nonfiction book designed to help readers tune into their creativity. Gilbert addresses a lot of issues surrounding the creation of art today. She brings up a lot of questions like "Should we strive to make a living off our art?" and "Why should we continue to make art even if it isn't good enough for other people?"

The author definitely has some drastic views about how creativity works; I don't agree with a lot of the things she claims (like the notion of ideas as separate entities, floating around and waiting for a human to catch them), but she has definitely given me a lot of new ideas and perspectives about my own art.

Big Magic is not a book for thinkers and philosophers, but if you are a reader hoping to get a quick bite of inspiration and motivation, this book is for you! I believe I picked this book up at the right time: I have been very blocked and unable to focus on my personal writing because other things have gotten in the way. Reading this book was a breath of fresh air and reminded me of why I love to write and make other art: because it really, truly makes me happy.

My rating: 7/10

1 comment:

  1. My creativity has been down the drain lately. Is should take this book into consideration.

    ReplyDelete